Thursday, September 1, 2011

Introduction

Hi, my name is Kyle Leedy. This is the first blog I have ever made and the first blog post I have ever done. I am from Toledo, Ohio and I am a senior in Sport Management at BGSU. I went to Start High School and was on the wrestling team all four years. I was involved in many different sports when I was younger such as soccer and cross country, but decided to just focus on wrestling in high school. I have never participated internationally, but I have participated in national events such as the Junior Olympics. Even though I don’t wrestle anymore, I would still say that wrestling is my favorite sport. Besides wrestling, I like to watch and participate in many other sports such as basketball, football and soccer.

This blog is for my Sport Management 3950/Sport and Globalization class. I hope to be able to comprehend more about what it means to live sport in a world that is increasingly globalizing. I want to learn about all of the positive benefits and negative effects of the globalization of sport. I want to learn how sport is practiced and understood in different global cultures. I want to learn about the beginning of sport’s globalization and what the future of globalization holds for sport.

If I could attend one global sporting event it would probably be the Olympics or the World Cup. Those are the main global sporting events that I follow. I would choose an event like that because so many people all over the world are watching all at the same time. To be at such an event would be amazing, with so many excited spectators and fans gathered together. As for what global sport icon I would want to see, I would say Usain Bolt. He is one of the most recognized athletes in the world and he is just superior at what he does. I would also like to see MMA fighter/UFC Middleweight Champion, Anderson Silva fight. I like to watch UFC because it is similar to wrestling, and Anderson Silva is definitely one of the best.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kyle,

    This is an excellent introductory post. I am not sure if I mentioned this when you took SM 2210, but my brother was also a wrestler, so I attended a lot of his wrestling meets. He went to state in his sophomore year and it was exciting to see him compete at St. John's Arena at Ohio State. Do you have a favorite wrestler? I remember hearing a lot about Dan Gable. That is cool that you participated in the Junior Olympics. It would definitely be a great experience for you to attend the Olympics if you ever get the chance. I hope that you do.

    I have not watched much in the way of MMA or UFC, so I am not familiar with Anderson Silva. I have noticed that more people seem to be interested in following MMA or UFC (than boxing). Do you know if it has a global following?

    I look forward to reading more of your blog entries.

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle,

    I enjoyed learning about our interest in sports. I too think it would be an amazing experience to attend a World Cup game in person. Even watching on television, you can tell how passionate the crowd is about soccer. That event really seems to rally global support for the sport and raises awareness for soccer in the United States where soccer is not quite as prominent yet as it is in many other countries around the globe. I can't say that I follow wrestling much, but based on the information you've shared, I may need to take another look at what the sport has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle,

    It was interesting to see how you mentioned 2 global athletes in your blog, without realizing it. Your blog was about globalization of sport, and it involved 2 athletes who really globalized their sports. Silva and Bolt are foreign athletes who made their sport very popular and globalized it tremendously.

    - John Shifley

    ReplyDelete