Monday, November 7, 2011

Michael Jordan

When I think of Michael Jordan, I think about one of the greatest athletes of all time. I think of basketball because his name is so synonymous with the game. I think of his shoes/clothing line because they are so popular everywhere  in the world. I think of brands such as Nike and Gatorade because he has done so many commercials promoting their products. I think of an icon, he has his own symbol! Also, with only the slight exception of Michael Jackson, when see or hear the initials “MJ” you think of one person.
Arguably, Michael Jordan is not only one of the most influential people of all time in the NBA, but in sports, fashion,  and people in general. Michael Jordan has accomplished so much in his life, as an athlete, businessperson, and actor. It is no surprise that he is worth billions of dollars. I also think about how many accomplishments he had as a basketball player, with all of his league records, titles, MVP and Slam Dunk awards, All-Star appearances, and Olympic gold medals. Michael Jordan’s life has been amazing to say the least and has impacted the whole world.
I don’t think that it is wrong to compare other basketball players or even athletes of other sports to him. I think you can compare some of the great basketball players like Kobe to him, and you can compare other athletes like Tiger Woods because they are incredible athletes and huge icons at the same time.

3 comments:

  1. I remember reading in the article about "The Jordan effect" that as great as Jordan will be remembered (as an athlete/basketball player), he may have made an even bigger impression as an endorser. This does seem to be the case. How he managed to do it in the midst of the information age is even more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the idea that Dr. Spencer made of him leaving a bigger impression as an endorser. In my blog entry about MJ, I said that I think of Jordan as a brand before I think the player.

    I forgot about his endorsement for a second but when I stop to think about it, I can name a few big ones (Gatorade, Hanes, Nike, etc.)
    Its crazy to think that one athlete could end up so powerful in such a little span of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion there will be nobody that will be able to be as successful as an endorser as he was. His name itself is a brand and his shoes and clothing have helped the Nike corporation grow to a whole new level. What made him so successful at endorsing was his personality and excellence in the game of basketball. Everyone wanted to be like Michael. There will never be another like him.

    ReplyDelete