Thursday, November 24, 2011

Yao Ming

The topic of Yao Ming’s image is very interesting. According to Leonard (2003), “like Asians in society as a whole, Yao (and other international players) is set up as a model minority.” Yao Ming is obviously popular because of his height, but he is also liked because his is humble, patriotic, and a team player. I remember when I was in high school and I saw this black kid wearing a Yao Ming jersey, and I just thought it was kind of odd. Yao has been very beneficial for the NBA, because they are able to broaden their market by reaching out to the Asian fans. Yao does provide a great bridge between American and Chinese cultures.
Because of Yao Ming, other teams have expressed his culture by offering things like Asian American Nights, passing out fortune cookies, and doing dragon dances. Leonard (2003), states that “Asian identity and cultural values now have a place at the NBA table and within the global marketplace, but the visibility of Asianness comes through a homogenized and flat presentation of cultural identity, not unlike the representation of black NBA stars.” I don’t think that Shaq’s comment was meant to be offensive, that is just how he is. Yes, there might be some tension because of foreign players taking control, but nothing too serious. I think the American players are learning from their foreign teammates and vice versa. Respect is shared especially with great foreign players like Dirk Nowitzki.
Also, in class when we were talking about Yao Ming we mentioned Nate Robinson. Coincidentally on Friday, the 18th, my twin brother Bryce (on the right) and I meet him and got our picture taken with him at the Chicago airport.
                                                                                               

2 comments:

  1. Kyle,

    Yao Ming definitely brings a different dimension to the sport of NBA basketball as there are not many Asians that play professional basketball in the US. I had the privilege when I was younger of seeing him play in person with my brothers when we were on vacation. I found it interesting that teams have built on his cultural diversity with marketing ideas like the ones you mention (passing out fortune cookies, etc.). This adds new interest for fans with these unique game-oriented events. There is definitely much to be learned between American players and their teammates as many cultures come together on and off the basketball court.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you make a great point about Yao's influence on the game. You also mention Dirk Nowitski, imagine if he was more of a public figure in the US. I'm not sure how reserved or vocal he may be in his native Germany when it comes to basketball but I'd like to see the greatest foreign player, and possibly a top 20 player of all time (in my opinion) take on more of a vocal role in the NBA. Especially since Dirk has such a great personality, from what I've seen on tv and the internet. Dirk could easily make the game of basketball the so much more powerful throughout the world.

    - Bobby

    ReplyDelete